Sunday, June 8, 2008

Themes are no match for an angry storm

The 7th, Saturday, was my birthday and being that it was my 30th I wanted to do something a little special. So I started brainstorming ideas on what to do back in May and what I had come up with was an entire weekend celebration with a huge kegger at my parents farm house in Pendleton, IN. I was going to have everybody that I knew up and they were going to invite their friends, I was going to project the Wii on the side of the barn, there was going to be a cookout, etc. Also on Friday I was going to kick it off with everybody meeting up and watching an Indians game then maybe afterwards going out for drinks. I had the entire thing planned out in my head, started spreading the word around, and had about 20+ people that were all excited and on board.

Then the weather hits....

The barn at the farm house was completely destroyed by the storm the weekend before plus the power was taken out. My Dad couldn't clean any of it up because the insurance people had to come out and document the damage or whatever but to this day they haven't been out. It's probably because of everybody else calling them up, etc. So then Friday comes, the weather still isn't cooperating and because of this only 4 of the 20+ people show up. I ended up calling off going to the game at the last minute and the 4 of us just went to eat at the RAM brewery. Apparently most of the people had the same idea because when I called them about the change in plans, they politely declined. Anyways, dinner ended up being really fun because there were a few instances of hilarity.

1. When I went to the bathroom, this guy rushed by me on the way and by the time I got in, he was already kneeling to the porcelain goddess. I must say it was both humorous and a bit disturbing to be standing there with the 'vomit soundtrack' playing right next to you.

2. There was a private party going on in the back room and apparently this grandma was drinking, dancing, and at one point dancing on top of a table! After dinner while we were all just bullshitting outside the entire party stumbled out and nearly crushed my friend Martha behind the door in the process. Grandma had to be wheeled out, bonnet and all. One of the guys kept dropping his food and repeatedly informing us that he wasn't as drunk as the rest of them. And as they were fumbling away they kept yelling that 'the parties in room 318!'

Saturday instead of going up to the farm I had everyone come over to my house and just eat, drink, socialize, and play Wii. And even though only 8 people showed, it was really a blast. Everybody got along, there was plenty of laughter, and it ended up being really memorable. Also in retrospect I'm kind of glad only 8 people showed because my place couldn't have held anymore (bonus: found out the max capacity!)

The point of all this is that sure plans are great and they're awesome if they go off without a hitch but sometimes the unplanned is just as (if not more) exciting and eventful. Yeah I was a bit disappointed with the weekend because of the plans I had made crashed and burned but honestly the stuff that happened because of it ended up being a lot better.

1 comment:

Tim Borek said...

Happy belated birthday!