Saturday, May 10, 2008

Eggsicles and Candles

Once I had received a reply back from my question about what we did Wednesday night, I immediately opened my notebook and started scribbling down ideas, anything and everything that came to mind.

So Friday after work I had decided to either do a ‘Where’s Eggo’ pictorial search ala shades of Waldo or an Eggshell light strand. The Where’s Eggo was going to consist of a googly eyed egg hidden in 12 different collage pictures I would have took. The final presentation would have been in the shape of an egg or something like that. The Eggshell light strand was just going to be empty egg shells secured over the light sockets somehow and I was also going to spray paint the wire bright yellow.

Then I decided to get some last minute thoughts at the DOLLAR TREE that’s near my house. They of course had Easter products out already but I immediately ignored them and kept going. I came upon this cool neon orange lamp shade looking square bowl that I pondered for a second about cracking a bunch of eggs in there and putting light on it somehow to make a sort of Egg Yolk (Lava) Lamp. But that thought left as quick as it came because it would’ve been far too messy and I wasn’t sure how the hell I was going to do it. So I continued wandering up and down each aisle looking at anything that would spark my interest.

I came to the candle aisle and picked up one of their mini cherry scented ones because I also was thinking of making a egg candle. Then I found a pan to put/melt the wax in. On the back wall they had those old school popsicle trays that you pour the liquid you want, place the handle in, freeze, and then you have a popsicle so I snagged it up because I had the idea of making eggsicles. And I had to get a ‘100 Grand’ candy bar because those are awesome and you don’t really see them anymore. Needless to say, it didn’t make the journey home.

So I used a knife to stab an opening at the top of 3 eggs and poured its insides into the trays of the popsicle cart. Then I put the handles back on and placed them in the freezer. Next I used the same knight to carve the wax out of the candle into the saucer pan. I let the wax melt on the stovetop and proceeded to pour the wax into one of the eggs a portion at a time. I didn’t know if this would work or if the shell could withstand the heat without cracking so I went from pouring to standing to putting it in the ice tray of our freezer.

I had wanted to place a wick in the middle but the wick that came in the candle wasn’t very cooperative. So I had to be content with a cherry smelling egg shell. Oh yeah, hot wax hurts! The Eggsicles were going to be tried out later but I couldn’t get the damn things out of the trays. So, there’s a lesson. There’s a reason it was a dollar. Not entirely sure what or where I was going with all of this either but whatever, I just went with it.

1 comment:

Biologin said...

Hello cfshine! I have read in your post, that you would like to make Eggsicles. I am wondering, what is it? I am Russian and study English and could see this word in Ice Age-3 only. Please, help me to deside this task