Tuesday, May 27, 2008

the instruction book for an infant me

Last week at work I had some down time so I decided to Google my name and see what would come up. Originally Beth Haggenjos had suggested this to us in Directed Study 1 as a way to see how you're portrayed in the virtual world but I've found it to be a fun exercise ever since. So anyways, I had stumbled upon something that made me think of my birth parents and the fact that I still don't know who they are or were. When I got home I pulled out the little manila folder and just stared at it for awhile.

Awhile back I had requested information on them and the forms to begin the process but thats as far as I've gone to this day. Occasionally from time to time the idea would pop up but I was always too conflicted. I always either thought; let me get me straight first or why should I care. But honestly, how CAN you prepare for something like that?! I never gave it much thought or urgency up until a friend of mine said (and I'll never forget this), 'by the time you're ready you could be talking to a gravestone.' Granted who's to say that they'll want to meet me but then again what if they do?

Then I stumbled upon a stapled 6 page document titled 'Infant Dictation' and I remember my Dad gave it to me after I first expressed a desire to search out my birth parents. I call it the instruction book for an infant me. There was also a report that stated I have a brother and sister out there and that they're twins. If anything that last bit of information, aside from medical records, is one of the main reasons I remain curious.

There's very little I have to do to start the process and I feel as prepared as I ever will be so I plan on starting the 'search' soon. And of course the new media side of me wants to document the thing, LOL.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will have to say that this is a great story and if I were you I would not waste another day. If you put it off one day it will turn into two and then a year goes by. Take it from me, who doesn't have much family at all, you need to at least find your brother and sister.

Great blog