Saturday, May 31, 2008

Things you find and think about over French Toast

Friday night my friends and I decided to eat at Dennys for dinner. They ordered their usual, Boca Burger and Fries while I deviated and ordered the French Toast Slam. While we were eating I saw Stephanie look down with a perplexed look in her eye. After a few minutes of both mine and her husbands curiosity, she picked it up and read it out loud. Here is what she found.


It was a little accompanying card but for what and for whom or even under what circumstances was the message inside relevant? My mind immediately starting racing at all the possible reasons for the message inside.

Then I got to thinking about fortune cookies and the sad, sorry state of the fortunes these days. Is it just me or do none of the 'lucky' numbers match up with what you consider lucky. And where are the profound messages, now they just state things of common sense and obvious observations about life. Was there some huge strike in the cookie factories or something?

So inspired by the discovery of this card, I decided to cut my piece of paper into equally sized versions. Then for each of them I either wrote a funny limerick or a line from one of my favorite graphic novels.


Some of the them read:
To: Jane From John; Jane, we are not lost. -John
Do not worry; Just hold on, the worst is behind us.
Time (shown by just hour and minute hands); is running out.

etc.

After all of that, I left each one at various places in hopes that a passerby like myself would one day find them and maybe take a moment to ponder about where it came from and the message behind it.

Places I left them:
Inside a library book
At a bus stop
Underneath a booth at Perkins
Dropped while walking through Castleton Mall
On a free booth at a movie theater
Various mailbox

2 comments:

amycool said...

I enjoy this idea! Thanks! Always cool to do something different and nice. I'd love to find a little note in a library book.

Tim Borek said...

What a novel idea. That's inspiring. Makes me wonder if the $20 bill I once found in a parking lot was left there by a generous rich person. Doubtful, but I feel better knowing it's a possibility.